Thursday, July 12, 2012

Simple Regrowth

I use a lot of scallion / green onion in my cooking. They are used very frequently in Asian cuisine for flavoring, and they are typically just $1 for 2 bunches, which is not expensive at all. However, I was told by a friend that I can very easily grow them myself.


I was very wary of growing anything, because all plants that come inside our home end up dying! I can't seem to take care of any living things, which is another reason that we don't have pets. I haven't graduated from plants yet.

I did a quick research on how to grow scallion. All food and farm blogs say that all I have to do is to put the roots in water and leave them by the window and they should grow in days! Too good to be true, I thought. But.. I gave it a shot!

I kept the root of each scallion after I cooked.  I put the roots in a small plastic jar and filled the bottom with water.








This is how small the jar is.

LET THE EXPERIMENT BEGIN!!
In just two days, the new branch started growing!! I think the ones in water are doing better than the ones in soil.





Ta da!!  It's so easy and now you can do it too!!  I can save $1 a week regrowing my own scallion.  My remaining question is I wonder how many times I can reuse each one.  If after I cook this one, I replant the green onion again, I wonder how many times I can do that.  We shall find out!!

(to be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment